View Single Post
Old 08-23-2008, 09:03 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Tim Wells broke my car

Hi Curt,
I haven't engraved larger items like valve covers and such. I'd like to but not enough time.
I hadn't seen your first post in the thread until now. No worry, no offense taken. I've been pretty burnt out engraving but I enjoy being creative with the tool making. One day I'll get back to more engraving again.

Hi Tim C, The engine is ok. The nut was too hard and broke. The stress where it broke was caused by Steve tightening it very tight. There is a setscrew in the nut that adjusts where on the stud the nut is tightened. The stress on the nut is between the setscrew and stud and that is where the nut broke. The nut wasn't drawn back enough after heat treat and was too hard. (aftermarket junk) When the nut cracked it then began to unscrew. The rocker didn't come all the way off and was still aligned with the rod when we removed the valve cover. Tim laid the rocker and wrench in there for the picture. (bad Tim W ) The valve would have opened less and less as the nut unscrewed which means it couldn't have crashed into the piston. The push rod was fine.

Tim W. should still be punished though:smile5:
EngravingArtist.com