View Single Post
Old 01-05-2007, 06:48 PM
Steel

Default Re: Nickel Engraving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellsworth
This years project will be to do some die cut coins just to see if i can pull it off. To my knowledge no one has ever tried to do it that way.
I've been lurking for a couple of months and this is something that I know a little about. I quit engraving more than 15 years ago due to a series of traumatic events. I found Steve's website and it got me all fired up again. Anyway I work at an emblematic jewelry company as a die sinker. If you want I can cut a border and the lettering for you and you can sink it. Send it back to me and I'll harden it for you. If you do an obverse and reverse it would need to be a pinned die set. We have around 10 different presses...OBI, hydraulic, auto-drop hammer etc. Also have the trim tooling for many different shapes.

Cutting in reverse is a little difficult at first. I use kids Silly Putty to take impressions as work progresses. Sometimes I take lead proofs, oxidize them and wipe it with veryfine steel wool to see the details. I think that I am just down I25 about 60 miles from you.

I rummaged around to find some examples today from the 6,000 plus dies I have sunk. Mostly I do 2D stuff on a rather large Gorton pantograph but I do get to do some sculpting every now and then using my moderate skills.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pipe_and_wrench_640.jpg (102.6 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg three_640.jpg (89.6 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg Wirehair_640.jpg (100.3 KB, 105 views)