View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 05:44 PM
Copper

Default New guy - trying to find PC controlled engraver

Hello.

I am a fellow in Wellingborough UK, trying to work out a little about the different angraving machines about - and trying to get some information about the sort that I need to be looking at for my application.

In short, I am wanting something to be able to mark-up little plates/tags which are going to be made from anodized aluminium. Basically a dog-tag design and with probably two or three lines of information.

If the project works well, I will need to produce a good number (for me) of these (several dozen a day). As such, although a hand-held engraver and a stencil was great for prototypes, I really want something a little easier/faster for higher use.

I tried to post in the right section, but I couldn't see a generic "PC controlled engraver" or such like.

I am VERY happy with second hand - or economically priced new. I just want to be able to type two or three lines of text onto a PC and then "Print" it to the little machine which then engraves a dog-tag for me. I have a horrible feeling things will not be that simple - but if they are great.

If someone could please point me in the direction of the sort of thing I need it would be really helpful - also any names of good second hand gear which I might be advised to keep an eye out for.

I have no real preference for a "grinding type" engraver or a small laser powered engraver which (I think) are supposed to work well on anodized aluminium and make less noise too.

My knowledge at the moment is REALLY basic - as I am sure you will have realised - and frustratingly, google has not really helped me much - with the single exception of finding this forum.

Kind Regards

Guy

ps: I did try to use "PC" as a tag, but it reckons two letters is too short - which might be why I cannot find anything about PC when I search