View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011, 08:53 PM
Copper

Default Probably bit off more than I can chew.

Hello there I am new to this forum and new to engraving. Unlike most of you who probably have good to great artistic skills I have none. I took two art classes back in high school and failed them miserably. But I'm crazy enough to try metal engraving

My name is Alex, I am 22 and live in Riverside, California. I've been working on Hot Rods since the age of 14 and started welding at age 16 so I'm not that new to metal. For a living I restore car parts, sometimes a customer requires a custom bracket made and I end up with scrap pieces of metal.

I was looking for something to make with the parts and engraving looks like a nice option, I can see myself making 1x1" necklace pendants out of scrap pieces of aluminum/Stainless Steel.

I didn't want to jump in and buy a $350 engraver, so I got these two Chinese ones(electric engraver,rotary tool) for a total of $10 with lifetime guarantee.

I'm not expecting anything spectacular from them. I just didn't want to spend a lot of money on a tool and just have it end up as a paper weight. Now if I end up being decent with it I will purchase the decent tools

I've been doing a lot of reading, I've been on forums for years and years so I know how they work. And I'll definitely use the "search" function before asking any elementary question