View Single Post
Old 10-06-2008, 08:48 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Scroll drawing practice

Hi Curt,

That's a good book. I like his advanced book better though.

I have to disagree about the "self taught" thing. You're not in an apprenticeship, being trained by a company or dishing out a lot of cash to a school to "show you" the things you want to learn. You are taking the initiative to pick up what study materials are available and disciplining yourself to sit down with it and practice. No-one around to tell you what you're doing right or wrong ... it's trial and error as you develop your own style from the things that interest you in the course of study.

That is "self taught". No-one else can take credit for your initiative and discipline.

Attached is the scroll that the instructor did for the class I took a few years ago. Of all the stuff I picked up in James Meeks book or in the 1st Ron Smith book ... I have been trying to re-define what I learned (with difficulty) to take my scroll to a more advanced level. I've almost had to try to forget some of that stuff as I'm figuring out what I like and what I don't. Looking at this helps me a great deal. It's simple but has all the components of a wonderful scroll with well structured leaves and perfect shading. I prefer a 60/40 percentage of positive space (scroll + leaves) to negative space (background) for higher end work. That can be adjusted as you want to save cutting time.

Catch ya later Curt, this all should help ya get going pretty good.

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CDscroll.jpg (54.6 KB, 87 views)