View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 07:22 PM
Platinum

Default Re: tough day with amature control freak overhead

I think the lesson here for me is to be certain of every detail prior to down payment. At the point of order here we agreed it would be either a "wheat" pattern or a "diamond" pattern past the flanking diamonds in the solitaire. I figured it to be a small detail option but it mushroomed into a reconsideration of every aspect of the ring, even the the points perfectly clear at order point.
That one tiny unclarified detail became license to him to renegotiate every other preset aspect of the design.
Moral of the story: don't ever leave even one detail unclear or else all hell can break loose. The door should be closed (and the customer should know it's locked too) before the down payment is accepted.
This same thing actually happened to me 10 years ago. The woman at the point of order asked me to do just "one" more study option for a "tiny" detail she was unsure of. I did the study option and all hell broke loose and the job totally spiraled down into the toilet. She was so frustrated when it was over that I found out she had a new ring setting made somewhere else. I gave her a scrap value refund for the plaltinum used in the ring I made and melted it.