View Single Post
Old 05-31-2006, 09:46 PM
Gold

Default Re: John Barraclough practice plate

Hi Allan

Thanks for your nice words. To answer a few of your questions.

1. The air graver is indeed a early SL Classic airgraver. I brought it a few months ago from a very talented man by the name of Andy Shinosky. It's an older model but still works perfectley.

2. The tools..........The left hand one is a handle with a very fine carbolt round stock in it. It's ground to shape sort of like a mini screwdriver and is used for under cutting the channel where the gold goes.

The second tool with the brass handle is what looks like a screwdriver at one end for setting the gold in the chanel and cutting ends off. The other end is to press it down initially.

The third tool next to the air graver is a handle with a brass rod in it. That's for holding over the wire and tapped with a hammer to set the gold in place. The brass rods are replacable.

What makes them really special are that they were hand made by John Barraclough whom I did the plate for.

There are different ways to acheive gold wire inlay work (and they all sound good) but this is the only method I have personally tried.

Best regards
Andrew Biggs