View Single Post
Old 05-31-2006, 03:54 PM
Gold

Default John Barraclough practice plate

Hi everyone

When I first joined another forum a few months ago I was very lucky to befriend John Barraclough. He is also my “engraving mentor” and we talk to each other by e-mail regularly about all sorts of things, including engraving. His support and kind words have been invaluable to me and a real inspiration.

Anyway, about four months ago we were talking about gold wire inlay and a couple of weeks later a small box arrives in the mail from John. It contained all sorts of goodies. Amongst them were some gold inlay hand tools and silver and gold wire to practice with (they are pictured in the first photo) (not the airgraver) I was simply overwhelmed by his generosity and kindness. So I thought that it was only fitting that he should have my first gold wire inlay job as a present and it was also my way of thanking him for all his support and generosity.

John was a steeple chase jockey when he was a very young man living in England during the war years. The photos on this post are what I did the engravings from. They were taken not long after world war two when he was a sprightly 17 year old.

It was a fun project to do with plenty to learn and mistakes to make. All of which goes into the mix for the next project. The circle around the portrait is copper with the borders being 24K gold. The plate is 75mm square (3inches)

This is the true power of these forums. Not which tools you use or method of sharpening or techniques you employ in your engraving, but the power of friendship, kind words, tactful advise and unqualified encouragement.

As usual your comments are always welcome. That’s how I learn.

Best regards
Andrew Biggs