View Single Post
Old 01-02-2011, 03:09 AM
Platinum

Default Re: A Little Bit More Carving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat View Post
Gentlemen,I do believe we have all just been schooled.I notice that the work is now being signed,good move.If some one has the skill set and the patience to copy this,they are not only doing a disservice to Phil,but to themselves as well.The copier is not only ready to fly on his own,he is ready to feel the pride and chargeing the price for his own work and his own name.phill,you said that this piece took you seven months to create,I am curious to know how much of that time was spent planning,visualizing and laying out the design for this amazing art which you have chosen to share with us?...p.s.thankyou for showing me the differance between engraving and carving.
The idea for this was developed weeks before a took delivery of the gun.
I new the gun was coming and I had carte blanche with the design etc. I new that the customer liked carving and gold, he also likes something very special on every gun.
Being one of the worlds biggest gun collector not only in modern guns but in antique guns, he has just about everything so coming up with something different was not an easy task.
Ideas come into ones mind when working on other projects, I remember thinking of putting gold in the deep areas between the carving, this has been done many times before with bead punching but I have never seen the gold lined, but I probably will from now on!

The actual design drawing for the two sides and bottom usually takes me no more than two days, three at the most, with the other parts, I usually draw them straight on.

Here's the original drawing for the base of the action. At the moment i'm working on a H&H double rifle with buffalo, elephant and rhino scenes.

Phil