Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 03-05-2007, 10:22 PM
Gold

Default Hello, and thank you!

Hello,

My name is Jim Brandvik. I have been lurking here since late November after discovering this forum in late November.

For a few years now I have been enamored with the idea of trying my hand at engraving. I am interested in doing western style engraving. But until last month I had still never held a graver in my hand. Then I had the great fortune of making contact with Steve Ellsworth .

Steve was kind enough to answer my many emails and agreed to let me come to Denver to spend a week with him to learn as much as I could in that short span.

It was a great experience and when I got back home, I called Steve Lindsay and ordered my palm control. (The check’s in the mail, Steve. I had to sell my cow and the milk!)

Anyway, while I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my air graver, I thought it was time to finally introduce myself to everyone and to say “Thanks!” to Steve Lindsay for maintaining this forum which has been my daily retreat from my bread and butter job. I have read every single thread at least once.

Also I would like to say “Thanks!” to all the regular contributors here, which I feel as if I know already. Your willingness to share your knowledge and experience is invaluable and much appreciated.

Finally, thanks to Steve Ellsworth for opening your home and your brain to me and for setting me on the right path. You cleared up the mysteries of sharpening and transfers and you showed me many time saving tricks which would have taken years for me to discover on my own.

I feel truly fortunate to be getting into engraving now when resources like this forum are just now becoming available for someone like me who would otherwise be completely uninformed.

I look forward to contributing in whatever small way I may be able to in the future.

PS

Here are the first two practice plates I did with Steve Ellsworth. Thanks for helping me hide the worst of my many mistakes, Steve. This is my first post so forgive me if the photo links don't come through.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:45 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Hello, and thank you!

Welcome to the art Jim.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Hi Jim, Welcome! That was great of Steve E to take time for a week. The engraved plates look like you have an art drawing background to start with.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:06 PM
Platinum

Just a note to say thanks to Jim for the kind remarks.

An instructor is only as good as the best student and Jim was just that. Dedicated, enthusiastic, artistic and hungry to learn. Needless to say, it was hell week for Jim. We covered a lot of ground in a short time. He started early in the morning and worked late into the evenings. (Gee that sounds like something we all do) so he's right on track for this profession!

I know that soon Jim will show you some pretty neat stuff, which for now must remain a secret. When his product hits the market Jim's inovative ideas for engraving will establish a new niche that will be very profitable long term and provide much enjoyment for him to produce and others to own.

Needless to say, the Airgraver played the major role throughout this process by shortening the learning curve dramatically. Many kudos to SL for his remarkable engineering.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:57 PM
Platinum

Welcome Jim
Steve E has been very kind to me and is a font of knowledge. The journey begins ,you will never regret buying the PC airgraver.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:38 PM
Gold

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I am frothing at the mouth to get started. Steve Lindsay called me yesterday to let me know that my PC will be ready to ship in about a week and half more. Yipee! I feel like a kid before Christmas!!