Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Gallery and Show & Tell - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 03-07-2008, 03:51 AM
Gold

Default Have you ever had one of those days?

Aside of the technical portion of Engraving, What inspires you continue doing what you are doing?
Is it the Almighty Dollar that drives you, Legacy of completing something that will outlive the Sands of Time? On those days that seem to start much to early, what keeps you going.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg early_morning_wake-up_call.jpg (8.1 KB, 98 views)
Old 03-08-2008, 09:20 PM
Steel

Default Re: Have you ever had one of those days?

I'm new at this, but what has me 'going' is the beauty of the cut metal. I hope to someday be able to make things that will last for generations and make people smile when they see them.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:16 PM
Gold

Default Re: Have you ever had one of those days?

Thanks Nevada for the reply, I hope your stay in Nicaragua is kind to you and your engraving.

I have been given the opportunity to be a Part-Time, Stay at home Dad, and the rest I would like to venture into engraving. I find it frustrating to know where to start. I have the artistic talent, design capabilities, and am pretty tool savvy. However I am struggling with where to go with it. Who to market to, do I do what I want and hope that someone will like it, or...... I am not sure. Sometimes I think it would be easier to get a job and work, But when you dont "Play Well" with others it makes it difficult. On top of that I am Introverted.
I am currently working on some Scrimshaw projects but I am afraid that with Ivory being subjected to much scrutiny. Do I continue to labor at this genre or bail and do something different. I have done some Hobo Nickels, that is fun, but not enough. I have also done some Antler carvings. All of which have a WOW factor, but nobody wants to pay for the work.
Many will say, Nice you sure have talent, but is that really enough? So often I find myself as a laying bear in the slumber of sleep, only to be rudely awakened by reality. What advise would you give a fairly young guy trying to find himself in the engraving and embellishment world?
Where did you all make your start and when did you finally say, " I can do it, and be successful"? Was it a spouse making the bread money while you chipped away making a meager contribution? Was it a mentor?
These are questions I have always had but never had the insite to ask.