Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Gallery and Show & Tell - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 03-30-2011, 05:43 AM
Steel

Default My First Ever - Please help

Hi all,

This is my first ever engraving apart from practise on a plate.

I am aware that alot to be fix but if I can get suggestions on where to start and how I should do it next time would be much appreciated to better myself.

What I'm feeling frustrated with at the moment is shading. I just can not get it right. not sure where to start.

Thanks in advance

Regards,
Arda
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blade1.jpg (49.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg blade2.jpg (61.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-30-2011, 01:35 PM
Platinum

Default Re: My First Ever - Please help

Hay great start, but as you wish I'll say my piece. The scroll at the base of the blade although not finished with shading is Not perfect but OK. However the 1st scroll coming off it has a weak backbone (to thin and to light) at the attachment point. The balance of that scroll is strong but the final set of scrolls that look very good are coming off the #2 scoll from the wrong way. Try flippng the last set of scolls as a mirror image, change the attachment curve a little and see if that doesn't work better. As far as shadding goes me too !!!Hope that helps a little and if it didn't (isn't this the knitting forum?) chickenscratcher
Old 03-30-2011, 02:42 PM
Platinum

Send a message via AIM to JRon

I agree with chickenscratcher's comments. I believe it would be a best approach for you to layout and engrave the pattern you intend to use on a plate befor attempting the actual subject piece. You can alter, fine tune the pattern and then transfer it the the subject piece. One question, did you allow for the knife bolster?
Old 03-30-2011, 04:03 PM
Steel

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Yes, doing it on a piece of plate is the ideal way and I did try it on a piece of metal but to me it does not feel the same when I have the piece of a knife shaped metal. this is not the actual expensive knife material I am using.

regarding to bolster, I do not use bolster - the handle material will go far just before the engraving start.

At the moment - I kind of bite the bullet attitude to get me started.

thanks again to chickensratcher and JRon for the input. This certainly help me to plan next time. If there is any other suggestions, they will be much appreciated
Old 04-10-2011, 09:41 PM
Platinum

Send a message via AIM to JRon

Seeing how you are bitting the bullet, try doing your art twice size, it is sometimes a lot easier on you to do a larger piece of art and reduce it to final size. This enables you to use some grid paper and french curves which should help you get a more flowing scroll._JR