Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Lindsay AirGraver Info - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 06-09-2016, 08:58 AM
Copper

Default flat gravers

I am looking for flat gravers approximately 20 thousands wide. Do you sell them?
Old 06-09-2016, 09:43 AM
Administrator

Default Re: flat gravers

Hi Chuck, That would be the flat/knife template. You can make a flat all the way down to pretty much nil with it, so that the width is just governed by your heel size.
EngravingArtist.com
Old 07-30-2016, 03:11 PM
Copper

Good afternoon-

I have the flat/knife template bench stones and drill press 220 lap. My first set of templates came with basic instructions and a sharpened graver. Thus I had an idea what it was suppose to look like and an idea of how to get there.

I'm not sure how to get started with the flat template. I am assuming with the small green four sided template. What's next. The bottom? then the sides? how much do I take off? Any help would be appreciated. I'm sure it will be obvious once I understand better.

I have researched extensively and find some good you tube video on the basic template. And search the forum for conversations on sharping flats but no luck. Perhaps to basic

Thanks
Old 08-01-2016, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscott View Post
Good afternoon-

I have the flat/knife template bench stones and drill press 220 lap. My first set of templates came with basic instructions and a sharpened graver. Thus I had an idea what it was suppose to look like and an idea of how to get there.

I'm not sure how to get started with the flat template. I am assuming with the small green four sided template. What's next. The bottom? then the sides? how much do I take off? Any help would be appreciated. I'm sure it will be obvious once I understand better.

I have researched extensively and find some good you tube video on the basic template. And search the forum for conversations on sharping flats but no luck. Perhaps to basic

Thanks
Hi, I missed this post earlier. The flat/knife template is similar to the others in that you use the small template to first taper and grind the sides to the size of flat you want it to be. With the small template you can save the bottom grind last before going to the large template. Just grind enough that it cleans up and makes it flat on the bottom after you have the sides ground. You can always go back to the small after placing the face on with the large if you don't have it quite the way you'd like. Vilts had made a video using that template:
www.engravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=2407

EngravingArtist.com
Old 08-03-2016, 06:47 PM
Copper

Thanks Steve- I think I am getting it figured out. I look forward to giving it a test run when my Classic arrives.

Trey
Old 08-03-2016, 08:15 PM
Copper

Wellll, I don't have it figured out. The Video was great for finishing off the graver but there are a few steps missing. Or, better said, I think the graver in the video had been shaped ahead of time and that's where I'm hitting a wall. Sides with small template, no problem. Once that is done and I inspect the graver tip head on and it is narrower at the top than the bottom, like the template. The finished gravers are wider at the top than then at the bottom, not like the template. The top and bottom are untouched at this point. So is the top the top even though it is narrower than the bottom? Finally, when does the graver get the 45ish degree angle from the side view? It won't happen with the top of the small template.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (51.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-03-2016, 08:31 PM
Administrator

We can put the 45 on the face any time during or even before the small template. That might help you understand or see what is going on. In other words, you can switch back and forth between the two templates as shaping as needed you to see the point forming. After the face is ground you can go back to the small template and continue shaping.
EngravingArtist.com
Old 08-03-2016, 08:34 PM
Administrator

PS.. Looking at the photo it looks like it is coming. For now go ahead and put the 45 face on and then go back to the small template. After you see it with the face, check that you have the width of the flat where you want and then grind the bottom with the small template until the V part is flat.
EngravingArtist.com
Old 08-04-2016, 10:02 PM
Copper

Got it. THANKS!