Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 12-23-2014, 10:42 AM
Copper

Default Hello and Thanks from TN

Hello, I want to say thanks to all for having me! First off a little about me and why I want to learn. I am Shane Sanchez (Sanch for short) I am a self taught leatherworker/bladesmith with a background in art that spans oh about 35 years in many forms of "art" from a pointy stick on the dirt canvas to sculpture and ceramics, watercolor, metal sculpture and on and on to include airbrushing...as of late I have found that the leather working and blade smithing have tied all of my other forms of "art" together and I am always drawn back to my original "poison" METAL and how I can shape it and reform it to serve a purpose as well as be something to behold whether it be simplistic or very complex. I enjoy making the tools that I use as well as enjoy the fact it saves me some moooola! most of the leather tools in my shop are hand made by me for me. The reason I want to learn engraving is it is a skill set that looks amazing, looks fun and challenging to learn. I am excited to build the tools that I will be using. So far I have turned 2 chasing hammer heads (4140 tool steel) and made 3 chisel handles (304 SS) I have been researching DIY engravers vises and looked for ways to "hold" work..I am currently reading The Art of Engraving by James B. Meek and am a member of a couple of other forums so far my only "out of pocket" expense has been the HSS blanks from ENCO that I just purchased...next the Lindsay Graver Sharpener System (universal and detail templates then the onglette template) I am very happy to be here and hope that I can be of some sort of help and provide some input to this wonderful resource.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:36 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Hello and Thanks from TN

Experience counts, skill and knowledge gained in a search for expression can coalesce into a interesting outcome. Metal engraving and carving is an art and the skill is not always easily attained, you may learn a little from the absolute requirements of serenity and tenacity as they can be the most difficult to obtain for they come from within. Feeding the fire of desire while assuring the kettle of necessity doesn't boil over is a dance, however awkward or graceful.

I'm sure you will be welcome here, everyone is helpful and kind. Post your self made tools in the main forum I'm sure most will find them interesting and the experienced may offer some suggestions and opinions on their useability. Workholding can be done in so many ways, starting out it is easiest to cut flat surfaces so work can simply be glued to a block of wood tall enough to miss your other hand when you slip. Well I think this is where I came in, good luck.

Bob

Last edited by Steve Lindsay; 12-31-2014 at 06:50 PM.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:51 PM
Gold

Default Re: Hello and Thanks from TN

Welcome.