View Single Post
Old 04-06-2008, 08:24 AM
Steel

Default Re: PC as chasing tool

Your locked rubber washer guard is probably a very good idea. I wasn't aware the device could "drift" to the fully open position and possibly self-destruct(?).

As you correctly state, chasing is working the piece from the front and repousse (apparently french for "pushing back" and pronounced reh-po-say with accent on the say) is working it from the back. My studio is in a silversmithing restoration and plating shop so I've had the opportunity to study a lot of pieces from the last few centuries. Some of the best work combines chasing and repousse with engraving and I think of engraving as a component of chasing (which it actually isn't as chasing moves the metal around and engraving cuts it away).

Since I began working with the PalmControl is that I can now "sculpt" the chased/engraved surface in ways not possible previously with conventional tools. I'm still exploring the possibilities here but capacity to deliver thousands of precise blows with "chasing" tools has opened new doors. I appreciate hearing from any others who have explored these realms.

Again, here is a shot of such tools. They're made with 1/4" round stock measuring about 2 and three quarters inches long.

Regards, Jim