View Single Post
Old 03-01-2009, 09:11 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Glide-Lock vise engraving... Mike Dubber

Thanks everyone, engraving the Lindsay Glide Lock was some what of a challenge! Yes, Jack, jewelers do have to engrave some big stuff - like trophy cups and 24" silver trays. I did'nt take photos of the work in progress because it was all I could do to hold this thing for the lettering!

I do have one shot of the Vise setting on my worktable - you'll see that the engraving surface is actually the articulating arm swivel base of a drill press that I converted to a worktable by cutting the column, trashing the drill press head, and securing the reamaining base, column and worktable arm under my workbench. This allows me to raise and lower the vise as I need for engraving with and without the microscope. I have two of these in my home studio and three at my Training Center - they accomodate all the raising and lowering needed for me and others who come to the studios to work. These drill presses are available at places like Harbor Freight for less than $200.00 - cheap enough to convert them to elevation control engraving stations without the regrets of destroying quality machine tools!

Rex Pedersen originated this idea in a FEGA Engraver article several years ago. Rex also suggested fitting the drill press tuntable with a flat automotive transmission bearing. I found one for mine, so now when the tuntable sleeve is loosened it revolves very smoothly. With a little added weight (like the Glide Lock Base) it turns just like a convention engraving vise! I've used it for engraving many large subjects (like this Glide Lock base) that could not be held in a conventional vise, or in the vise jaws.

I removed the base from the Glide Lock, raised my drill press turnable/workbase to proper working height, loosened the collar so it would turn with light resistance, and engraved the letters in the photo. The sheer weight of the base allowed me to revolve and engrave it without securing it to the turntable - no problem - except for laying out and spacing the letters on the curve - worrying about how Steve would feel about me lettering his creation, spelling, etc. etc.!

Mike Dubber