View Single Post
Old 09-23-2008, 11:49 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Arctic Exploration

Thanks, here's the whole thing , start to finish:
On june 19, 1878 a group headed by a US Cavalry Officer, Lieutenant Schwatka, left New York headed north in an attempt to locate the records of the Franklin party of 1845.
C.Sharps Arms Co. donated two Rifles to the Schwatka expedition .
This piece is inspired by that journey.
http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive...DE&oref=slogin

its a Gemmer by the C Sharps arms Factory. The stock was done by Don Franklin, and I believe most of the rest was done by Joe Seeley.
Lee Helgeland did the disassembly for me, here is a pic with Jerry Fisher checking it out-"no hair on this" was his comment.
and a pic with lee and I , Lee disassembling the piece, and the parts laid out for engraving.
When its done, in a week or so, it all goes back to the Factory for finishing.

all they found was skeletons, a small boat, corpses and a few trinkets, they never found the logbook.
and they barely made it out alive.
http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&...result#PPA3,M2

The procedure was as follows: I took the drawing, reduced it on the photocopier to the size of the lockplate, and transfered it on. That was mainly to locate the scene. I then erased the transfered scroll with acetone on a qtip and redrew the scroll lines. This keeps me from doing anything too stupid. I then freehand the leaves as I cut.
How much layout I use depends on the style of the scroll, and the shape of the leaves, this style I know well enough I dont have to fill in much, as I can see it in my mind as I cut.
I look at my drawing and count how many leaves are in a certain area of the scroll, and put in that many. There are really only three kinds of leaf elements I am using here, so I put them together in my mind to fill the space.
Some people might view this as risky, but I have found as long as I am familiar with the style of scroll I am using, it allows more creativity than slavishly following a transfered layout.

here are some more pics.
The first is layout, the second is completion.

Here is more work in progress:

Here is another pic.

Further. . .

here are some pics from doing the stock inlays:

The Patchbox:

I did a sketch for the starboard panel, and then did the work.

Jerry Fisher and Winston Churchill dropped by the shop and took a look at the work in progress.

It's finally finished, at least my part, Lee Helgeland put it together yesterday to ship back to C. Sharps arms co. where it will be hardened and shipped to the client. Here are some pics I took before shipping yesterday: