View Single Post
Old 07-04-2008, 08:21 PM
Gold

Default KGUNS Tutorial Contest Submission

(If you would like to comment on this submission, you may do so by posting a reply in this thread. Thanks! Kaitlin)

Well I love a challenge.

I will be engraving a Keighoff K-20.

Today is July 4,2008 7:35 PM.

I have posted a photo of it.

The client has requested an engraving of something along the lines of Gianfranco Pedersoli.

Oh yummie, one of my favorite Italians.

So to all the folks that have a time problem I can tell you no one has a bigger problem with deadlines than I do.

So to help with the problem of, GIT ER DUN!

I will engrave this K-20 and finish it by Aug 15 2008. Time is an abstract concept. If you think it will take forever, it will.

How do you eat an elephant?

One bite at at time.

I am going to use Steve's Classic Airgraver with foot control exclusivly.

This will be a full coverage engraving.

The pattern will have grotesque faces, figures, nudes, vines, flowers, dragons, and whatever else looks good at the time.

I have started with welded up the opening lever to get rid of the stamped checkering. It will be fillagreed with some thing yet to be determined. the receiver and accompaning part are not yet polished. Remember to use Brownell's HEAT STOP when welding on any gun or parts it works, it will keep the spots you want to stay cool from getting too much heat on them.

Second order of buisness, polish the metal to 400 grit finish, if you like shinney you can hit it with some 1500 or 2000 grit just to make scratches stand out

I will not post any pre-design drawings they will be executed directly upon the metal to be engraved, and can by seen in the pics.

Frank Hendricks once told me that, "drawing on paper and scribing a pattern on the metal is a waste of time."

I agree with the drawing on paper part, Why? Because it take as much time to draw it on paper as it does to draw it on the peice to be engraved. This is qualified by, Is the client paying for the drawing? If so fine, if not your loosing time and $'s.

I don't agree with not scribing the design. For two reasons one it gives you a chance to correct your design, the second is, I'm sloppy and I will rub off the design to the point where I have to re-draw the pattern.

I encourage, questions, comments, heckeling, (at your own risk), I will try to post picts, and a running or rambling decription of what is happening.

One more thing I am typing as fast as I can, there will be spel;ping errrrorrrs.I am not going to spell check any texst. My computater is barley funck tional.:willy_nilly:

Kurt Horvath
www.kguns.com
931-625-3893

Happy 4th. of JULY