View Single Post
Old 01-24-2012, 08:17 AM
Gold

Default Re: New guy with some old questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch_04 View Post
$100 is alot to invest in a book, especially since I don't know if I'll have a "knack" for it yet.

Mitch, If that $100 investment saves you 100 hours of your time, is the "investment" alot? And it saves you hundreds of dollars in unneeded tool and equipment costs?

And yes, a good book can save you 100 hours of time. If you are doing things fundamentally wrong, you can spend hundreds of hours at engraving and only have poor results and frustration.

I would get John Schippers book, "Engraving on Historic Firearms". I don't have it, but should get it. It has gotten great reviews from experienced and new engravers.

At $129.95 it is not cheap. But you are better off with one great book, than four lesser quality books. Buy this book before buying any tools or anything else.

If engraving is turns out being not for you, I think you could resell the book for $75 since the book just came out and there are no used copies for sale. And the people that have bought it don't sound like they will be selling their copy soon.
Search the forums for info on the book.