Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Lindsay AirGraver Info - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 09-13-2007, 12:44 AM
Platinum

Default Airgraver + non-square gravers

This is one of those "how do you..." questions which will turn into "how do I..." in the near future:

How do you mount things like onglette/spitstick gravers in an Airgraver? I think that all of the examples I've seen have involved 3/32" square stock.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:41 AM
Platinum

Send a message via AIM to Ray Cover Send a message via Skype™ to Ray Cover
Default Re: Airgraver + non-square gravers

I usually just regrind the tang to fit. I don't use those types often but when I do I just go to the grinder until they fit.

Ray

http://learningtoengrave.com/
Old 09-13-2007, 07:48 AM
Steel

I do the same, just grind the tang into a square, same as for the GRS handpieces. A couple of graver manufacturers are now making square tang gravers for pneumatic handpieces, including Muller and Grobet. I personally like the Grobet Yellow Tang gravers for flats, rounds and onglettes, and now those are being made with square tangs. They are available from Stuller, but if you don't have an account, good luck. I'll bet they're available elsewhere, but I haven't looked. GRS also makes their own pre-shaped gravers in hss to fit pneumatic handpieces.

Dave
Old 09-13-2007, 09:01 AM
Gold

I think this is one of those things where it would be wise to do a good job grinding the tang to fit, when you consider the expected life of the graver, and how often you'll be swapping it out. I'll bet if you took a handful of gravers to any commercial grinding shop, and specified "Please grind these tangs to 3/32" square" they'd do a bangup job and it wouldn't cost all that much.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:44 PM
Platinum

Thanks for all that - so am I right in guessing that squares can be mounted either on the diagonal or flat?
Old 09-13-2007, 08:34 PM
Gold

I solved the problem by getting a Artisan to go with my Classic. I put the oddball gravers in the Artisan collets. Got tired of changing the set screw settings in the Classic
Roger
Old 09-15-2007, 09:40 PM
Platinum

Talking Re: Airgraver + non-square gravers

i have reground about half my gravers to fit the lindsay. as long as they will slide thru a 3/32" hole, they will work ok. gently break the sharp corners as there's a rubber o ring. you dont want a sharp edge to cut that. no matter the shape, one of the little set screws will properly anchor the tool.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:03 PM
Copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS_Bond
This is one of those "how do you..." questions which will turn into "how do I..." in the near future:

How do you mount things like onglette/spitstick gravers in an Airgraver? I think that all of the examples I've seen have involved 3/32" square stock.
I am a goldsmith and use flat and onglette gravers all the time in my classic airgraver Im not familier with (spitstick). All I do is order the grs gravers they make for theirs, they fit perfect in steves peice.Order from stuller U could get them from rio grand to probably, or grind the regular ones to fit. In the handpiece I move the tightening screw to the bottom istead of the side and it works great.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:37 AM
Platinum

I see the terms used interchangably - all the UK suppliers I know tend to refer to the same shape as both (as well as bullstick/oval).

I tried grinding a cheap Indian onglette to the right shank; fitted fine, but doesn't actually keep an edge. On copper. Rehardened, tempered - nope. Bin. Bought a couple to play with (but I'll probably get a batch from Otto Frei at a preferable price).