Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,761. Welcome to our newest member, Bruno
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Gallery and Show & Tell - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 02-04-2011, 12:37 PM
Copper

Question NIMSCHKE Engraves Winchester 1866?

Ok, I have this Winchester 1866 coming up for auction on Feb 12th 2010, information can be found here: http://northcentralsales.com/2011Auc...ary122011.html
But what im really wanting to know is if this is a Nimschke engraved firearm? The scrolling looks identicle to the scrolling in the glossary http://www.engravingglossary.com/Han...ossary%20N.htm, and Ive seen a Nimschke engraved gun withe the same kind of checkered pattern on the top of the receiver. Any thoughts or opinions?
Here are some high resolution photos of the engraving on this yellowboy... may take awhile to load.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06313-i-r33.jpg (57.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06316-i-r33.jpg (101.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06319-i-r33.jpg (62.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06320-i-r33.jpg (76.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06323-i-r33.jpg (78.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-05-2011, 05:40 PM
Steel

Default Re: NIMSCHKE Engraves Winchester 1866?

The engraving by it's self is ok but not great. My guess before reviewing R.L.Wilson's reference book was no, not Nimschke's work. After reviewing THE Book, I am convinced without doubt it is not Nimschke's work.

sorry..

John.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:04 PM
Platinum

John,I believe your right,the interior leaves on the scrolls don't look right. J.J.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:33 PM
Copper

No problem, just wanted some opinions by some people that know engraving. I thank you for your help.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:32 AM
Platinum

I don't think it's Nimshke but the style does look familiar. Check some reference books. Maybe the open top Colt books as I spent a lot of time going through them a year or so back. Sorry I can't be more specific. i get a lot of books that interest me on inter-library loan and there long ago returned. I sketch different styles and they stick in my mind. I liked this style because it was simple and stands out well.

John
Old 02-06-2011, 01:23 PM
Platinum

ncsauction,

You were wise to come to this resource for an opinion of who engraved the 66. Many rely on gun "experts" who know little or nothing about the characteristics of a particular engraver's work.

That said, it is my opinion that this particular 66 Winchester was not engraved by L. D. Nimschke. It is not even a close call. While to the untrained eye it may look "Nimschkesque" there are several aspects of the design and cutting that vary considerably.

Regards,

C. Roger Bleile
Old 02-06-2011, 03:55 PM
Platinum

Roger,Page 20 of your book on Nimschke's guns & gun parts being disposed of in 1950,that date is that right? Nimschke died in 1904 why would his family wait till 1950 to throw his gun related items away? J.J.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:33 PM
Steel

I am sure I read somewhere, one of R.L.Wilson's books i'd guess, that the family, was afraid that this contraband would end them in jail. I think the article also said that someone suggested that the "stuff" be thrown in the Hudson river.

How many times have I, (you) thrown away something which later became important (at least to us)?
Old 02-07-2011, 07:37 PM
Steel

The good news is that any 1866 is worth a good buck. The last auction I attended 6 were sold between $6000 and $12000.

Good luck with your auction..
Old 02-07-2011, 09:42 PM
Platinum

riveredge,That date the family threw the guns & gun parts in the river 1950,just not right. Mybe after Nimschke passed,any time right after 1904 & 1920.The Sullivan act started in 1911. J.J.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:25 PM
Platinum

JJ,

You will have to address that question to R. L. Wilson who wrote that chapter in my book. He is the foremost expert on historic American engravers and co-author of L. D. Nimschke Firearms Engraver. He also personally knew the man who rescued LDN's remaining records and effects so I believe he is in the best position to know the facts of this issue.

I can tell you this, my friends in law enforcement tell me that people are still turning over to police guns that were subject to the NFA of 1934 that were in the possession of their late grandfather so it is not a stretch to believe that LDN's property was in the hands of his grandchildren in the 1950's. You must also keep in mind that LDN was not famous (and now only among gun collectors) until RLW compiled the book on him. Prior to the surfacing of LDN's record book many collectors believed that it was the work of a New York engraver named Wolf because of the wolf's head hammers on many of LDN's revolvers.

CRB